Adriana - Kalamazoo, Michigan
Themes: parenthood

“Niko’s toesies smell like rosies all after a bath.” I believe in silly songs and motherhood. Last November my husband and I welcomed our first son, Nikolas Lewis, into the world, better known to us as Niko. Since having Niko in our lives we have never been sillier or acted more like children. We made up at least three original songs for him and every now and then change words to some great classics. When I first found out I was pregnant I can’t say I welcomed the idea 100%. In fact I wasn’t excited right up until a month before my due date. I kept stopping myself from thinking negatively because I thought if God was listening to me then he’d take my baby away before I even saw him. Though I might not have been ready to be a mother I was not ready to give my baby up before he had a chance. As soon as he was here everything changed completely. I rarely compliment myself or feel the need to boast but once I had Niko I fell into the role of motherhood so easily and smoothly. Motherhood has been the greatest experience in my life and I can’t even imagine what my life would be like without our son. Being the best possible mother for our son is the most important thing in my life and believe motherhood is a great gift that women are fortunate enough to experience. My husband and are able to bond over something wonderful and delight in acting like children just to see our son smile and look at us excitedly with those big beautiful brown eyes of his that we aren’t sure where they came from. The first few months I slept a few hours here and there, didn’t get out much, kept the baby weight on, and was somewhat tied down since I was nursing. But all that aside there is something magical about hearing your son laugh, seeing him crawl, and feeding him solid food for the first time. I don’t think my single friends quite get it, and yes they seem interested when I send them pictures at least twice a month every month and tell them my son stood up by himself for the first time but unless you are a mother you don’t fully understand the miracle motherhood truly is. It seemed like right after Niko was born the news was filled with stories about abandoned or neglected babies and I would cry and look at our son and wonder how can anybody ever bring harm to an innocent and beautiful being. My son has changed my outlook on motherhood and I admire women past and present who gave all they have to being a mother. Now if only my son actually looked more like me than my husband….