Anne - Granville, Ohio

I believe in my friends and their friendship. Does this sound too simple? Well, for me, friends are what keep me grounded and help make sense of a turbulent world. They are a part of my extended family. Their friendship makes my world a better place.

How do I define the word “friend?” Friends are people you love even when you are driving each other crazy. They are the ones you would do anything for in a heartbeat. “Need me to fly to New York? What time do you want me there?” They are the ones who make you feel like you are home. They are the people you can call in the middle of the night because something has gone horribly wrong in your life or something incredibly exciting has happened. For me, a friend is a person with whom I want to share my happiness, tears, and deepest thoughts. But I also believe that friendship is a continually evolving being, one should never take it for granted. Lasting friendships take work.

I have read many different articles bemoaning the information age’s deterioration of relationships and friendships. Many worry that the younger generations are no longer able to communicate on a deeper level. They are incapable of writing full sentences or writing without slang. Their friendships seem to take place on a superficial level, many people not knowing their “friends’” true names only their instant message screen name.

On the other hand, I have also read other articles which praise the Internet and the way it has connected the entire world. Do you live in America while your friend lives in England? Just an internet connection and a minute or two later, you can have a conversation.

Which viewpoint do you believe is true? I believe that friendship is what you make out of it. It doesn’t matter what format you use to communicate, either through the written word or in person. As I mentioned before, friendship takes work. You have to devote time and energy into keeping in contact. Whether it is setting aside time to compose an e-mail or pausing to make a phone call, friends are worth every second.

I believe that keeping in contact with my friends is what keeps me sane. Each of us is able to easily share funny stories and not-so funny stories. It allows us to have the chance to rant and rave about work, school, and life in general. In the end, reading an e-mail or talking on the phone lets me really connect to my friends for a few moments in a hectic day. Sometimes they make me laugh and other times they make me cry but they never make those moments dull.