Kyler - Seminole, Oklahoma

I believe in compassion. About two and a half years ago, my best friend’s thirteen-year-old brother died in a tragic accident. It was a difficult time for everyone. However, the comfort offered by friends and family was encouraging. After Blake’s death, I was at my friend’s house about as much as she was. I saw multitudes of people come in and out of that house, people we had never even seen before in our lives. Some brought flowers, some brought money, some brought casseroles, and some simply brought a shoulder to cry on. Instead of merely saying they were there for them, love was shown through their actions. I believe in kind hearts taking the initiative when there is someone in need.

I believe in the duty of close family and friends to be available at a moment’s notice during trying times. My friend yearned for a firm foundation in a life that seemed to be spinning out of control. She desired a way to hold onto her precious baby brother. I knew the grief I felt was a small amount compared to her hurt. As her best friend, I wanted nothing more than to magically make everything better for her. Unfortunately, I don’t possess these powers, so I did the only thing I knew to do. I was simply there for her. I believe in showing compassion in the best way you know how.

I believe in the active love revealed to me through this situation. God used Blake’s death to bring people closer together and to bring people closer to Him. Nothing compares to the solace found in the one and only God. He gave His only begotten Son to die for us. This is compassion. He is the guiding light in every aspect of my life. This is compassion. By grace, He saved us from plunging into the depths of hell. This is compassion. Because of the tenderness God has shown me, I yearn to “love with action” each day of my life. Compassion can make a difference in any person’s life, whether by giving money to a needy person or by simply being kind to a lonely person. Take action when there is no reward in return. When love is shown, hearts become tender and spirits are lifted.1 John 3:17 says, “If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?” I believe in compassion.