harriet - Pebble Beach, California
Age Group: 65+
Themes: environment

THIS I BELIEVE

We all like really funny or warm, fuzzy tales. And NPR warns that our beliefs are not to be preachy. But honesty will out.

I believe we are borrowing the use of this planet from our heirs, children, grandchildren and beyond. Like any good tenant we need to be good housekeepers and maintain the quality of our lodgings.

This wondrous, now grievously-besieged 3rd planet from the rather ordinary Milky Way star we call the SUN has been a sustaining Mother Earth to billions of plant and animal species for billions of years. Over time, each occupant has taken, utilized, and mostly returned life’s nutrients from the abundance of Earth’s resources. And, over time, our species has evolved into beings with unique curiosity, conceptual and analytical abilities, and, most recently, an amazingly powerful technology.

From the sub-microscopic to the extra-galactic, however, much of nature’s presentation is beyond comprehension to most of us and leaves some unanswered questions for even today’s most accomplished scientists and mathematicians. Yet, there is clear evidence of the impact of human numbers and the environmental costs of our lifestyles, on the Earth’s finite resources. The continuing existence of many other species is threatened. Over the past half century particularly, human numbers have increased to an unsustainable extent, infringing on the necessary habitats of most wildlife and, in fact, hampering the opportunities of an ever-increasing percentage of people. The over-abundant meek are not inheriting the Earth.

I’d like to sing the praises of 1-2-child families for the benefit of each child, mother, family, community, and nation– not to say the continents, oceans and Earth’s current and future inhabitants. And I’d like the media worldwide to amplify and carry the message clearly and repeatedly—as they do advertising or sponsor promotions—until all Earth’s people understand what each might gain by there being fewer of us.

I believe we, the thinking, sensitive, caring, current tenants can rise above the politics of selfish consumerism to respect and protect the needs of our current brethren species–animal and plant–thus, ultimately bequeathing to our heirs their turn to enjoy the beauty and diversity that a select group of us do now.