Hailan - San Diego, California
Themes: work

Perseverance Takes Us There

Across the endless sidewalk of life, millions and millions of deep holes sinisterly wait under the ground. And millions and millions of people everyday fall into them. Some people struggle, and some don’t even try to get out. But there are a few – just a handful of people – who fall, crawl out, fall, and crawl out again. What powers these heroes to do so? Perseverance.

Helen Keller is a perfect epitome of such people. Blind and deaf from an infant, her world seemed like an abyss of misery. But though she was severely debilitated, Helen was finally able to read, speak, and write. But not without falling countless times. Yet, no matter how deep the hole was, Helen Keller always climbed back up to the surface. Through tremendous determination, the blind and deaf heroine showed the world that she was just like us. And something more. Her triumph of reading Braille, writing, and talking truly overcame all odds. But underneath the achievements were always steady columns of perseverance.

Yet, Helen wasn’t the only determined person through history. Hundreds of scientists, writers, and other incredible people in history have achieved remarkably well. From Galileo to Martin Luther King Jr., a myriad of people in the past held on to their beliefs, even in circumstances of life and death.

I believe that people persevere because they have the strong motivation to do something they desperately want to do. We are powered to be determined and try our best to succeed because of a motivating yearn to achieve. Everyone is capable of being steadfast in their ideas and goals. Even kindergarteners learn about “the itsy-bitsy spider” who climbed up a pipe, fell back, but crawled up again. If a spider has the faith to reach its ambition, then surely humans must too! I think it is in the human nature to not give up our hopes, but to continue to move forward. We can only reach our goals if we persevere and strive to regain our balance, even after the most agonizing fall. Perseverance takes us to success. This, I believe.