Adam - hartsville, South Carolina
Themes: war

I grew up in the sixties. I saw prejudice and hatred first hand in the Vietnam War, the assassinations, the civil rights movement, and the roaming gangs in my neighborhood. We cannot combt prejudice with prejudice. We cannot stop hatred with guns.

This I believe…..

That no war can truly be won. If we are the cause of one death, we have lost the war. Do we fight for revenge, to ensure democracy, for truth, justice, and the American way? Do we fight for God? God can fight for himself. Whatever the reason, there is no reason good enough to accept the death of another human being. If a clod falls into the sea, Europe is the less. If we kill one child half way around the world it is too much to allow.

This war has shown us our weaknesses. We are not a perfect nation. Our citizens are not divine. When we go into terrible situations, we become terrible ourselves. We cannot help it. We are not strong enough to resist and we become terrorists ourselves

Were we justified in our desire for revenge? Yes, but violence only breeds violence. We are playing the terrorist’s game. We have come into his backyard where he could attack us at will. We must force him to play our game on our terms.

Let us find other sources of energy and let him have his fossil fuel. Let us put the billion dollars a day into social programs and education. Let us help the Palestinians build a homeland. Let us help the people of this world with our resources, not with our weapons, with our compassion not our contempt, with our humanity not our threats.

There has always been an evil empire They rise and fall with the seasons. We never will be free of terrorism, never free of hatred or prejudice until we free it from within ourselves. I believe that the world needs our help, it is sick. But the greatest medicine that we have at our disposal is love.