Michael - Poland, Ohio
Themes: death, family

I believe in family. I believe that family can solve all of your problems, from the most miniscule to those of monstrous enormity.

Where do you turn when you have a bad day? If your answer was a bottle, your family has been led astray, or you have been led away from your family. Either way, I always look to someone in my family to cheer me up. I could bond with my father, joke around with my mother or torment the living hell out of my little sister, and in the end, I will smile.

Where do you turn when you need something? I turn back to my family. Whether it’s only a few bucks for gas or asking for advice on how to get out of a tough situation, my family is always willing to help.

I believe in the strength of family, and how this bond carries each member. With the recent passing of my uncle, I have found a whole new well of strength and support that I thought my threadbare family was incapable of.

The majority of my father’s family has passed, and this recent loss was not an easy one to bear. For the first time in my nearly eighteen years on this planet I saw my father cry. This pillar of manliness and strength, my childhood hero, cried. Aside from the loss of a man whose kindness and generosity knew no end, whom I loved dearly, witnessing my father at this low point was the hardest thing for me to deal with.

The strength of our aged and tattered family, who loves to bicker and fight, lifted us up. My father most of all. Everyone set aside their grudges to support one another. As I write this I know it is hard to understand the feeling I had. I saw every bit of love that was held back due to inconsequential arguments pour over. It was a powerful experience.

While listening to the preacher recount the events and highlights of my uncle’s life in twenty minutes, I found myself crying. Crying over the loss of the tangible man and crying over the loss of invaluable time with him. I needed support, and it was all around me.

No matter the amount of family, whether or not it is intact, they will always be there for you. And when you find that true love, the one your soul knows you want to be with for the rest of your life, they become family too. It’s one more person to turn to, one more person to trust, one more person to care for, and one more person to love. I believe in the power of family and how there is no other force as strong.