Etha - Lawrence, Kansas
Themes: family, legacy, work

“This I Believe – A Strong Work Ethic Builds a Successful Life”

What creates a successful life? I believe one key component is a strong work ethic. A strong work ethic helps to create a stable environment at work and at home. Hard work is a direct result of a strong work ethic. I believe that hard work is one of the cornerstones on which a successful life is built

My own life has been guided by my mother’s strong work ethic. She was born in 1924 and lived through the Great Depression. My mother was unique for a woman of her era. In an era where women commonly stayed at home my mother graduated from college and became a teacher. For 33 years she taught in the same school system. My childhood years were filled with my mom working a full time job as a teacher and her busy, busy life helping my dad on our family farm. She wore many hats. Some of those ‘hats’ were, chief cook and bottle washer, truck driver during wheat and Milo harvest, grounds keeper of our 3 acre barn yard, caregiver and loving mother to her 3 children, wonderful wife to her husband, and master Gardner to a very large garden that helped feed us year round. In addition to these many duties my mom also was a member of church groups, church choir, professional teacher organizations, social clubs, sponsor for many, many school events, and an unceasingly good and generous friend and neighbor to those in our small farming community.

As I look back at my childhood years, I realize that my mom was a prime contributor to my work ethic. I learned how important it was to go to work everyday. She was always on time. Both of these habits have been interwoven into my own life. In this day and age of people constantly moving from one job to another, I am proud to have had the same employer for almost 25 years.

My mother’s strong work ethic created a successful life for her and in turn has helped me to build a successful life for myself. Until I grew up, I never saw or appreciated just how hard my mom worked. I will be forever grateful to her for her dedication to hard work. She certainly showed me each and every day that hard work is one of the cornerstones of a successful life. This I believe. A strong work ethic builds a successful life