Antonio - Laguna, Philippines

I believe that I may be just a kid, but I can do great things in this world! I want to show my fellow citizens that we can help our environment.

As a child I went with my parents to their environmental projects because I live near one of the lakes in San Pablo City in the Philippines. I heard a lot of stories which where about the lake being so clean and clear in the past that kids could swim in it. But now it is polluted and that’s what encouraged me to help save the seven lakes in our community.

My parents with other people formed a group called Friends of the Seven Lakes Foundation (FSLF) in 1999. But we kids also wanted to be a part of the movement to conserve, protect and rehabilitate (CPR) the lakes, so FSLF created the FSLF Kids.

We clean the lakes and pick up the trash around it. We have camps to educate the kids about ways to take care of the environment. We also had a camp with fishermen’s kids, so we can teach each other ways to help our seven lakes and become friends and better environmental leaders in the future. I also went to a couple of international conferences making close friends and learning ideas that I can apply in the Philippines.

There is so much to do and share. I believe, like Spiderman, that “with great power comes great responsibility”. I had many opportunities to learn about the environment, so I have a great responsibility to share and teach other children to care and help the environment. I wish all kids would be superheroes for the environment!