Danny - San Antonio, Texas

In a land filled with the smell of fresh flowers, grass, and beautiful butterflies, lays an open field, one that someone might see as a green meadow. Growing up on a farm, little Ray always ran out of the house at the time the sun was just peering over the western sky. Filled with joy, passion, excitement, and his little boy never ending endurance. In previous years little boys would run out early in the day out to the open fields, sand lots, or even the groomed fields to play a rousing game that they all loved, which we know today by the name baseball.

I think today’s kids have lost the passion and vigor for going outdoors and playing that favorite sport, or anything for that matter. Many of them sit on a couch all day long playing video games, eating junk food and exercising three fingers per hand. When I was a kid, all I ever wanted to do was play baseball. My life consumed of that red leather stitched ball, that cow-hide leather glove, and the aluminum bat I carried with me. My friends that lived down each sides of the street would run out with me every morning to someone’s house, an open field or anywhere that we had enough room to play this amazing game we all loved so dearly. We were all so in tuned to each and every play; we could imagine what it would be like, what we would do if the ball came our way. Whatever happened to kids playing sports or games outside? I think parents today have stolen away a childhood of fun, health, and excitement when they buy these video games, but not registration fees for the local little leagues. What have we done as a society to promote health and fun in kid’s lives?

I’m thankful for my parents making me go to practice, games, and parties when I didn’t want to, where I had to play sports, interact with other kids, and enjoy being a kid. I want boys and girls to experience my passion for baseball, a game that tends to help kids learn teamwork, having fun, and the history of the game. Baseball should be a game of fun, one that enriches kid’s lives as they work together. The smile on kids faces after each and every game winning hit, or maybe a simple base hit is priceless. Why take that joy away from any kid?