Nicole - Glendale, Arizona

Perfect Shmerfect

I have completed seventeen and a half years of my life. Twelve of them have been spent trying to understand the opposite sex. Not only trying to comprehend them, but mentally creating a list of what the perfect one would be like. What a great way to set myself up for failure

Women have mysterious brains that cause them to swoon over every movie, song, book, and poem that has to do with love. Woman hear: “You complete me,” “I’d miss you even if we’d never met,” “If you’re a bird, I’m a bird,” and automatically, “Awwww,” is regurgitated from their curled lips. Engraved in this generation’s minds and hearts, simply reading those quotes create flashes of the corresponding steamy-romantic movie scenes. I almost feel bad for guys because with every drama or romantic-comedy released, the bar of expectations raises one more notch. It creates one more opportunity for their significant other to besiege them with questions like, “How come you never say that to me?”

I see now that guys my age are not affluent screen-play writers. The fairy-tale romance in my head is not going to magically project into his. Is it even worth it?

After years of observing my two older sisters crying at the dinner table because some guy decided to rip her heart out and perform a talented juggling show with it, it’s hard for me to take that chance. It’s confusing to see the beauty and intelligence in my siblings and then watching them reject honorable guys to turn around and chase the juggling clown from the past. Did a man honestly have to write He’s Just Not That Into You for my sisters to get the hint? All of a sudden the altruistic nights I have had to reassure them of their beauty, intelligence, loyalty, and worthiness as a female and member of this world reduce to nothing. Settling for something because it’s better than nothing limits the possibilities we have in relationships. The day of realization will come: whatever he had to offer was nothing to begin with.

I have come to the conclusion that marriage, babies, and all of the stereotypical female thoughts should not be on my immediate to-do list. Maybe I should scratch out “the perfect guy” list while I am at it. The one thing I do hope is that he (whoever that may be) can take me as I am: in sweats or in a skirt, make-up or just rolled out of bed, or even as one of those girls whose lip curls after hearing, “You had me at hello.”