Ilka - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: carpe diem

Looking back at my life from now being a big bad adroit senior to those uncool

quirky freshman years I can honestly say that I have lived my life to the fullest and have

been shaped into the person I am today. I’ve stood up for what I believed in. I ‘ve

argued, ranted, raved, cried, laughed, loved. I wouldn’t take anything back, not for

the world because I believe it’s experiences such as high school ones that you grow

from. High school to me is the basic foundation of who you will become as a person.

I know for the most part no one wants to admit they were freshman, awkward, dorky,

wide-eyed, gangly beings. Most of us had that desire of needing to be “cool”

that had carried over from Junior High. Idolizing upperclassmen was just a way of life.

We’d either avoid seniors twice our size at all costs, or we’d spy on them. Latching on

like the blood sucking leeches we were. We did this in efforts so that somehow their

unattainable “coolness” could rub off on us. Yes, this first year as a Mountain Lion was

a time of freedom and new experiences.

Sophomore year we realized just how uncool the freshman really were. We were

on the path to self-discovery which also included the affinity of boyfriends

and girlfriends. Not to mention the drama that came along with those relationships. This was the year we felt a little freer to participate in school spirit: we went to Homecoming, we cheered at pep assemblies, no longer having to sit in the stands that faced the sun. We started making our mark on Mountain Ridge.

Junior year was the year of power. The term upperclassmen was forever inscribed on us

like ink. Nothing could stop us because we were on top of the world and still are. Which

leads me to Senior year. I can say in all truthfulness that I’m excited for what my future

has in store as I cast off the adolesonce skin and step ahead into liberty.

High school endeavor’s shape and mold us to become who we are in this world. I believe we have to experience and live it to the fullest or it might just pass by. All I can say is that it’s been fun while it lasted. I would never take anything back. I guess you can say I’m inked until the end.