David - Dayton, Virginia
Themes: family, illness

I believe that we are all responsible for our own aging process. I believe this because as I help my parents who are in their 80’s deal with sickness and injury I realize my wife is right when she says “we need a plan”.

I believe parents should decide what they want in the later years when they still have the mental faculties to make a decision. I believe this because it is so much easier to be rational when you are not dealing with the emotion of sickness. Watching a parent stress over the right decision and back up because the decision was never made as a couple is painful.

I believe Parents should make these decisions to maintain the peace between siblings. I believe they should make the decisions about how, when and where they will live and be treated so that when family gets together it is not about crisis, but about family. I believe the move and disposition of a lifetime of stuff should be done before it is critical so that family can enjoy the experience and remember what it was like to be together as a family.

As I assist my dad with the current situation with my mom and home place I explain to my children why I am spending so much time away. I hope that I can learn from this lesson and plan for a happy and peaceful transition in all the life experiences I am yet to have.