Dennis - Southfield, Michigan

I believe in God. And I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins. And since becoming a Christian one of my duties is to share my faith with others in the hopes that they too will become believers. This is what I believe and it works for me. I’m also a public school teacher. And my job as a teacher is to educate students and to prepare them for the next grade and beyond. As I said I’m a Christian and Christianity works for me. Do I believe that everyone should become Christians? Of course not! It’s not practical. Should I try to convert a Muslim or Jew or Catholic when they’re happy being a Muslim, Jew or Catholic? Of course not! But, that doesn’t mean we can’t share a cup of coffee and learn about each other’s faith. In my opinion, the job of a Christian is to seek and save the lost. If one’s belief is something other than Christianity than its safe to say they’re probably not lost.

The major religions of the world speak of kindness to others, helping the needy, following the rules of their perspective faiths as well as the social values of the greater society. So who am I to place my Christianity over another’s Catholicism, Judaism or Islam?

As I said I’m also a public school teacher. Besides teaching children to read, write, and count, I’m also supposed to teach about manners, courtesy towards others and following the rules. For some reason this proves to be more difficult than teaching them to read, write and count. The reasons for this difficulty are simple: dad is not in the home, and many of them have no fear.

As a public school teacher, I can talk about Christianity to a point. I can even tell them why it works for me. I can’t however tell them they need to become Christians. I can understand that! I certainly wouldn’t want someone telling my child who or what to believe. I can also speak to all the world’s great faiths and somehow link them together with manners, courtesy towards others and following the rules. Wouldn’t that be awesome? The benefits would be considerable. Children would gain invaluable knowledge on the various religions and about following the rules. And when they grow up, they can choose a faith that best suits them. The drawbacks! Some would complain like they always do. The way I look at it what do we have to loose. Many of them don’t go to church as it is so the choices are these. They can learn about religion and social values in a classroom or they can learn it in a jail. Learning religion in jail for many is more about coping, not trying to become a better person. This is what I believe!!