Laura - Rockford, Illinois

On January 11, 2005, my husband was diagnosed with lung cancer. This started our short and difficult journey into the world of surgeons, oncologists, hospitals and ultimately, death.

I found this task of supporting my husband as well as my children difficult, yet rewarding. For the first time in my life I felt a purpose to my existence, that I was put on this earth for a reason. As I began this adventure, I found that I was making many new friends among the nurses and doctors who oversaw my husband’s care. Little did I know then that our time together would be short, and that probably I wouldn’t see these people again.

What I believe in is courage of the human spirit, no matter what the circumstances and I believe this is evident in everyone I meet. I believe that courage sustains my being as well as those wonderful nurses and doctors I met on the frontline against their fight against disease. I believe it is their example of grace under fire that showed me how I was to live my life. I also believe it was my husband’s courage that supported me through his illness as well as his death.

Today, more than a year after my husband’s death, my children and I live, a much different life of course, but one that is rewarding. I often think of the courage of my husband’s oncologist who stated she said goodbye to most of her patients, yet continues on her quest of treating her patients. I also remember the nurses at the hospital on my husband’s last day, how they showed courage and compassion in making him comfortable. I think of the courage of my husband’s patients, who also sustained a loss, yet in their grief comforted me. Finally, I remember the courage my husband had, never giving up in his fight, not complaining, but quietly and lovingly showing me that in all of us is that strength to continue on in life, no matter what the circumstances.