Cheryl - Racine, Wisconsin

I, as a high school history teacher, am in a priviliedged position. I daily immerse myself in the high points and low points of those who have come before us. Heroic deeds, herculean sacrifice, unparalleled dedication and unfathomable love which fills our eyes with tears of joys and hearts with wonder; despicable greed, unspeakable horror, and callus, casual evil that strips hope from those who know of it’s existence.

Additionally, I am lucky enough to spend my work days among the emerging minds and potential of our future, today’s teens. People who lament the fall of our civilization due to the failings of ou youth have not spent time with them. They ar energetic, engaged,curious and mindful of the burdens they are about to assume. If they are angry or seem disaffected it is in no small part because othe state of the world we are giving them.

Juxstaposed between our past and our future, I feel humbled to have a job which allows me to interact with both, because I believe there are innumerable lessons to be learned from the past, and as many to be learned from the future.