Mariana - Hudson, Wisconsin
Themes: forgiveness

I believe people make a difference. I believe that if you bank on people, they will trust you. I believe that our bright side overpowers our dark side. To reveal our bright side, we rely on the kindness of those around us, because more than once we need and deserve a second chance.

Like everyone, I have made many mistakes. I survived them all because the people around me trusted me and gave me a second chance. I am blessed because I understand that people’s generosity go beyond forgiveness and empathy. We all want to make a difference.

I failed my children many times. Once they came home from school and found me unconscious on the floor due to an overdose. I can only imagine how horrible it was for them to come home from school and find out their mother was trying to take her life. What went through their minds must have been dreadful. Was mom trying to commit suicide because she did not love us anymore? Because she could not handle the failures she had endured? Because she could not face who she was? I know I have wound them for life and hurt them beyond reason, but they gave me a second chance and because of it I know that life is worth living, that there is so much goodness and forgiveness in everyone’s heart that people can move on and be better. They made a difference.

I missed their high-school dance recitals, and soccer games. I missed their first dates, their high-school prom, their heart broken tears when their first love disappointed them; I missed all their milestones of growing up, because I was too busy working. They forgave me and gave me a third chance. I am a better mother because of their sympathy and understanding. What a difference that made.

It is easy to make a difference. I make a difference when I say a kind word to someone who seems lonely and in need of help; when in January I take my coat off and give it to the homeless person standing on the corner as I head to work; when I smile and empathized with the mother struggling with a crying and restless toddler; when I help someone carry their groceries to their car; when I ask coworkers about their weekend and listen to their story; when I show my children they can count on me because this time I am not leaving them.

I believe making a difference takes little effort and it means so much. I believe whenever I make a difference in someone’s day I enrich my life by a hundred fold.

I believe people help you along the way. Some walk alongside you a mile. Some carry you through tough times and stick around till you are ready to stroll alone. Some march with you so long they become lifetime friends. Some run beside you and make the race more fun. Some wade with you through lonely holidays and become your family.

Some disappoint you and break your trust.

I still believe in the goodness of their heart. The abundance in this belief makes me wealthier every day: The conviction that I can make a difference in someone’s life, and the assurance that some one can make a difference in mine; the certainty that the gift is in the giving.