Retha - Ashville, Alabama

I believe some people aren’t capable of letting go. My husband Clayton, is from New Orleans. Sure, I know a lot of people are from New Orleans now days, and they are everywhere. But to be truly from New Orleans I think you are different from the inside out. You have to feel the pain when you drive on I-10 into New Orleans East and see the dark and haunted looking homes and workplaces. You have to cry when you see your 89 year old brother living alone in a FEMA trailer in a “not so safe” part of town. He refuses to leave, and you understand. You have to go back time after time to help your family get their lives and homes back in shape, and then you have to admit to yourself that you will never ever be happier anyplace else, even when it’s bad, it’s home. And Clayton is like this, from the inside out. He will never be happy anywhere else.

Right now we live in Alabama. And yes, we have a nice place, and a few acres and no flooding or storm damage. And yes we travel and eat well. And yes we see our kids. But for Clayton, home is where the heart is, New Orleans, where he grew up and he can never let go. He misses Beignets and coffee in the quarter, he misses the “Saints” and most of all, the food and the family that are there and never will leave. And this I believe, he will never feel that way about anywhere else in the world, in his heart of hearts he can never let go. Not even for me.