Jake - Birmingham, Alabama
Themes: equality

I believe in Equality. Equality or the quality of being the same in quantity or measure or value or status, is what defines the human race. Some take it for granted; while others value and cherish it for all that it is worth. We, as Americans have the gift and privilege of a free society, where prejudice in intolerable. However, we are of the minority. Most countries and places around the world do not have the opportunity to be free, and to make their own authentic choices. This is why I cherish all things, especially equality. Imagine a world where you could not eat your everyday turkey sandwich, or wear your polo chino’s with your flip-flops. These are some of the small things that we do not realize we are lucky to have.

Americans are people, and Mexicans are people, so why should we be any different? I value this way of thinking because I truly believe that we are all the same, and shall be treated as equals. That is an example of an ideal world. A world of hope, peace, and a place where “everyone was treated by not the color of their skin, but the content of their character.” As Martin Luther King Jr. would say. Ever since, I was born I have lived in different regions, and have experienced many cultures. Whether, it was Los Angeles, California, or Birmingham, Alabama, one thing that connected these two regions together, is the laws and principles of human rights. When the United States of America was found in 1776, the bedrock principle of our great nation was laid down. As the constitution states, “all men are created equal.” This continues to be my nation, and my own bedrock principle.