Harold - Little Rock, Arkansas

I was raised to believe that there is one God, that any God other than my own was a false God and those who worshipped that God were wrong and doomed to eternal death. I believed this for many years, but at some point during my maturing I began to question this.

In recent years, evidence has shown there are others in the world who believe just as strongly in one God, but the God they believe in is different than mine. You might think this is the topic about which I now wish to speak, but it is not. Rather, I want to explain my opinion about identifying false gods and true Gods.

Possibly, broken down into its simplest context, my opinion is this: A true God’s disciples spread the message of love and redemption, not war and vengeance.

The role of a real God’s disciples is to demonstrate the love of their God to all people. A real God wants people to experience bliss for all eternity. To that end, a real God wants all true believers to work tirelessly to make certain all of humankind knows of that God’s eternal love. For this to happen, a true God does not want people to be killed by its followers. A real God wants people to continue living, with the hope that, at some time, they will see truth and be able to live to worship the true God for all eternity.

A false god, however, is not like this. A false god tells its disciples to kill others and prevent those others from having the opportunity to see paradise for themselves. A false god does not have the power to punish or reward people; a false god only has the power to tell lies. A false god does not want its disciples to live long lives, for if they do, it is possible that the disciples may learn the truth and turn away from the false god and turn to the true God.

Several thousand years ago, according to creationists, two humans walked and talked on a daily basis with their Creator. This God loved the man and woman he’d given life to, and had wonderful plans for them and the world they were on.

Everyone who is familiar with this story knows what eventually happened. A lie was told that created conflict within the two humans. This lie was so convincing, it made their creator’s truth seem to be the lie. This still happens today.

Around the world we see battles, holy wars they are called, fought in the name of religion. Humankind’s wars are not holy. They are unholy. A holy war is one in which God’s forces are involved. It is fought on plains not seen on earth. If God wanted to destroy an enemy here on earth, that enemy would be destroyed. With a single thought, God can destroy one person or an entire civilization. For any who doubt, let them study the sacred texts.

So, a true God does not need humankind to fight His battles. A true God can fight, and win, His own battles. He does not delegate that responsibility to His disciples. This, I believe.