Melissa - Birmingham, Alabama
Themes: Christianity

I believe in God. God has been a major part of my life for 17 years; but more specifically, for the past four years. He has proven this one quote that I hold close to be unquestionably true: “To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken, because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.” The one risk I have chosen to take that presses all of the issues in life is to believe in God. It has caused some setbacks with certain relationships. It can be extremely hard to maintain friendships with people that don’t share the same type relationship with God that you do.

I completely understand this concept, yet at the same time, it gets me. I cannot help who I become friends with and it kills me every single time something negative comes up about the one thing that I am supposedly “sure” about in my life. It really upsets me that I cannot control the path that my peers choose to take. But coming through all of the hardships, believing in God, has given me much strength. I am capable of handling so much more with his help.

Two of my close friends are agnostic. They have told me countless times that my beliefs are incredulous no doubt. There have been times when I have almost been convinced of the ludicrous notions they forced into my head. I became afraid and hurt. Everything that I had believed in from the age I could talk until that present day was just accused to be a lie. After a couple of days of prayer and solitude, I composed myself and dealt with their amateur ploys to bring me down. Until this day I have not figured out a way to stop the ridiculing, but what I did find, caught me off guard—God created this outer shell for me. I don’t really know any other way to put it. But all of the sudden, the rude comments and remarks did not offend me because I was confident in my beliefs. They found it a bit surprising as well, and eventually “softened up”. I was proud of myself. I had achieved the originally, unthinkable. This I believe.