Mary - Emporia, Kansas
Themes: equality

I believe in spelling woman with a “y.” W-O-M-Y-N. Womyn is not plus or minus man. To conceive of womyn solely as men, but slightly different, is to deny us our equal opportunity for recognition. The word for womyn should not contain the word “man.” We are different, but still people by our own right. The “y” is my Declaration of Independence, symbolic of my confidence in the power of womyn to overcome.

For all of known history, men have dominated society in terms of power and influence. For all of known history, we as a global people have endured slavery, famine, poverty, murder, rape, war, genocide, dictatorship, dehumynization, and exploitation of many kinds. I see a possible correlation. Considering that a society which holds womyn of higher esteem than men has never been seen on a mass scale on this planet, I think its time to give it a try. I believe in womyn, our perspectives, our rights, our power, and hope for our future.

It is often quite correctly said that the key to the advancement of a society is respect for womyn. What are we advancing toward? I believe in matriarchy, the zenith of societal development.

I believe in a world of peace, where the cool rationale of femininity may reign. When patriarchy, the rule of the world by and for men, has ended, perhaps the militaristic inclinations of the world’s leaders and the people they rule may be subdued. In my world, peaceful negotiations are not seen as weak, and brute force is admonished, not admired. Realism, the assumption that people and nations inherently act in self-interest, is no longer the accepted reality. Compassion is the new foreign policy, where those who are privileged aide those who are not, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, or gender. Never again are decisions based solely on economic interest, but rather consider all aspects of humyn life: social, political, economic, psychological, ethical, and biological. This is the only way to eradicate exploitation.

Womyn and men both should be free of the confines of societal expectations. Those characteristics which are traditionally considered “feminine,” such as compassion, understanding, and the nurturing instinct, will be acceptable and even encouraged to all people. At the same time, womyn will feel free to have strong opinions and speak out. Assertiveness is considered desirable, but both passivity and aggression looked down upon.

This would be beneficial for men, as well. However, in the event that they don’t see it this way, they do have a debt of over 10,000 years of oppression to repay.

I believe in matriarchy. But, in the mean time, I’m willing to settle for equality. Thus, I spell womyn with a “y.” W-O-M-Y-N.