Gabriel - Boonville, Indiana

I’m a 26 year old Network Administrator in Southern Indiana. And I drive a 1974 Volkswagen Beetle, by choice mind you.. not because it’s my grandma’s, and I have nothing else to drive. I actually took a trip out to New Jersey to get this car.

Why does this matter? Because I believe in what this car stands for. Now, I was not alive when the “Beetle Revolution” took place, and I have no fond memories of family driving one. But I know so many others who did. Stories of ‘Oh, my aunt had one, I remember riding around in the back for hours,’ or ‘Me and my buddies could drop an engine in one of those in 5 minutes flat.’ Young folk like me say “why don’t you get a 3 cylinder metro?’, laugh, and walk away. But I cherish look in the faces of those who remember.. They usually smile, pause for a bit, then walk away. And I watch them. They walk away with a little more skip in their step. Then there’s my kids.. Yes, I’m 26 and I have 3 kids, and they’re all from the same woman, who happens to be my wife, no less. I see them run around it, playing tag. I teach them how important it is to wear your seat belts, because in a beetle, that’s really all there is between your life and death. They learn to not go over the speedlimit, because, well, it’s a beetle. You don’t speed.. for fear of your life, and it just can’t do it, regardless. Other beetle owners wave at me as they drive by, even if they’re a ‘new’ beetle owner.. most of those are the ‘elder’ folk who, as previously mentioned, remember the good ol’ days, and I see them drive off and give their new beetle a little more, well, oomph. And my favorite, absolutely gloriously favorite reason of all? A youngin’, even 8-9 year old boy, will see me drive by, instantly grow a pair of shiny little horns, and punch his father with a BAM on his shoulder. The dad winces and says, ‘Hey!’ The boy will look back at me, and I’ll just smile and nod my head. And we both understand. What that boy doesn’t know, is that my beetle just brought him and his father a little closer together.

From the ‘old’ folk, to a young child, the beetle represents many different things, but it always represents one thing: love. This I believe.