Tony - Mocksville, North Carolina

I am a public servant and I believe in our government. Not the petty politicking that is manifest during election years, nor the bureaucracy that often squashes good ideas while wasting tax payer dollars. But in the government that was envisioned one day in November long ago by President Lincoln; a government that is of the people, for the people and by the people. Not one that supports a single cause, religion, or point of view, but a government that looks out for our nation as a whole. I believe that this government can win the war against terror. Not with bombs and bullets, though that may be necessary on occasion, but with a policy that treats people with respect for human rights, a degree of dignity and those sorts of things were uttered by a tired but hopeful President at Gettysburg, “government of the people, for the people and by the people”.

I believe that this government is a model for a free society. Not a society that treats every citizen as though they are a criminal, but a society that believes people are innocent until proven guilty. I believe in a government that does not assume that every citizen could be a terrorist but in a government that identifies terrorists and brings them to justice. Not a government that treats everyone like a convict while they are trying to board an airplane. I believe in a government that would not condone torture for any reason because I believe that would make us no different than the enemy. I believe in a government that respects the citizen’s right to privacy; the right to feel secure in their home or place of work so that they may go about their daily business alive, with liberty and in the pursuit happiness; ideas written into The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution by bold men who believed in freedom from tyranny and were willing to die for it. I do not believe in a government that surreptitiously monitors their telephone calls or rifles through their bank accounts in the hope of netting a possible terrorist, nor a government that would break into a person’s home without a warrant, search their belongings, and leave unannounced like a thief in the night.

I believe that the job of our government is to look after the people as a whole, in war and in peace; not a government that puts a religious belief or the political ideology of a party, nor the interests of a single group of people above the common good of all the people. I also believe that this can be accomplished by public servants who deal with each individual person that they encounter in their job as though that person were a friend or family member. Furthermore, I believe that if every politician thought of the good of all Americans first, including future generations, that we can have the kind of government that Abraham Lincoln and our founding fathers spoke of. Finally, I believe that every politician in America should go back and read these documents that were written by men who I think believed in the kind of government that we ought to have.