Bari-Ann - North Miami, Florida
Themes: setbacks

When I first tried to submit this, I did all this work, only to get an error message after submission. This, is exactly what my message is; this is what happens to those with a dark cloud looming over them, continually raining on, not just my parade, my entire life.

I believe that those who claim you can do anything you put your mind to, offer false hope. Really. Isn’t it easy to tell everyone behind you, everyone still in the race, that finishing is easy. Yet, already, if those stumbling behind had their mind on first place, they obviously can’t do anything they set their mind to. Worse yet, what about the stragglers in the back who were determined to just finish, but don’t look like they’ll make it.

I believe that life is so much harder than I could ever have been prepared for. And that when, as a child, I asked my mom what she wanted me to be when I grew up, she smiled sweetly, sadly, and replied, “I just want you to be happy.” I had no idea, what a challenge this would be.

Some say, “If I can do it, anybody can do it” but they don’t know me.

It could always be worse, they say. I don’t buy into that way of thinking. Because on the other hand, it could always be better. And which of those beliefs is seeing the glass as half empty? Maybe that is what drives us- or should. The power of pessimism. The realization that life is what you make it, and settling for just above a level where it could be worse, is not enough.

I believe in inspiration: my husband came here from Russia, all by himself at the age of 17 to go to college. He has overcome so much to survive in the land of opportunity, only to marry a woman who constantly challenges the belief that we can have anything we want. I am motivated by Beth Boline, who started her own company and is now independently successful. Yet, I can’t seem to reach that same goal.

I want to be happy. I want to do anything I set my mind to. I want to finish first place. But, first, I will have to change my outlook. I don’t see the glass as half empty. I see it as another glass that much closer to needing to be washed.