Bambi - Chicago, Illinois

I believe in community as a single fabric.

I believe that we humans form communities to share our strength and mitigate our weaknesses. Our Americans community consists of people of every color and nationality and native tongue and sexual orientation and artistic temperament. And, as a community, we are all in it together. The air I breathe is the air that you breathe. My children are your children. Your parents are my parents. When you stumble, I am there to help you up and when I stumble, I know that your hand will be extended to help me in my time of need as well.

In a community of a single fabric, we teach each other’s children, we care for each other’s infirmed loved ones, and we all grab a bucket when there’s a fire. In a community of a single fabric, we abide by the simple truth that we do best for ourselves when we do right by others.

But the fabric of our community is not dull and bleak and gray: it is rich and bright and beautiful. We all revel in each other’s unique talents. Whether your inner light shines out when you sing, or paint, or tell jokes, or divine the secrets of the Universe, your unique personality and the sum of your experiences add to the wonder and the glory of the fabric, and every single individual adds colors and patterns and textures to our fabric until it is the glorious interweaving story of a tapestry.

As with every story, though, there are the villains. In this case, the villains take the form of those who would seek to divide us one from another, who would try to fan the flames of supremacy and extremism and divisiveness and anger and hate. I believe those people weaken our community, our society, our nation, and, in the end, our very humanity.

I believe that we are all best served if we say “NO” those who try to drive wedges between us, and cleave all the more firmly to the community that is found in the simple human desire to share our strengths and mitigate our weaknesses.