Henry - Manila, Philippines
Themes: purpose, question

Starry Starry Night

As I look at the sky at the end of the day, it’s nice to see the moon and the stars flicker above me that signal that though the world is beginning to be captured by darkness; they are still poised to bring beauty and glitter.

Or do they really bring sparkle? Though the sky is decorated by bits of stars, it does not always guarantee that these stars will make us sigh when I look up. I sometimes allow the clouds to cover their glimmer and bring looming darkness to my nights.

As I can notice, I am living in a world wherein the natural sparks of people are clouded by pretensions and superficial things. I live in an environment where material things are above all and wherein happiness is achieved through physical needs and wants. I sometimes transcend from what must be to what can be

thinking that this can make my life better. In

short, the natural splendor of stars is being clouded by my own search for meaning.

What do I really mean by meaning that sometimes I cannot answer the question? But one thing I can say is a person may find meaning if he does things according to what is

truly right; one that is according to God’s will and would benefit not only himself but also other people. Meaning may be found in our dealings with our family, our classmates, our friends, strangers among others. It may be found in our continuous search for truth,

justice and peace.

Sometimes, I tend to search for meaning by exploring things that are beyond my values and beliefs. I unravel all possibilities, engage in different acts, and do extraordinary things just to find meaning to the word. But I always end up clueless and restless because I fail to discover what I am searching for a very long time. If this happens, I tend to get mad

not only to the world but also to ourselves because I think I failed and still living a senseless journey.

When I look around us, I see people asking the

same question every day. Though very hard to answer, I think it is important for me to continue searching for it for this might make me free from doubts, fears, hate and might make me complete.

But on a second look, the question could be – do I really need to search for it?

My hopes are still there that when I look at the sky at night again, I will smile and sigh because the moon and the stars are shining the brightest for I just realized that the meaning I am looking for a very long time is just within me, that the reason why I live is for me to bring light to the world that is full of darkness even though others opt to give up.