Arek - Newtown Square, Pennsylvania

I believe life is nothing like a box of chocolates. The ever-famous ‘Forrest Gump’ quote, ‘life is like a box of chocolates’, is only true under the assumption ‘you’ll never know what you’re gonna get’. When it comes to life, it is true you will never know what you are going to get. This is exactly why life can never be like a ‘box of chocolates’.

If you remember the last time you opened a box of chocolates, you see a nice assortment in front of you. Each piece has their little designs, yet it is really the inside that mattered. The only way to find out what they contain is to eat through them yourself. If you are speculative and picky like me, you can find somewhere on or in the box a listing of what each chocolate piece contains, distinguished by shape and location. If there is any you do not like, I am sure you would avoid it or give it to someone else and go straight to your personal preferences.

‘Life’, on the other hand, filled with so many options, can never give you a listing of what each of these options guarantee after you make your decision. You have to find out for yourself if you made the right decision. Complain all you want about what has been handed down to you. Because ‘life’ does not live on a profitable income, it could care less about disgruntled consumers. In the end, ‘life’ is still in control.

Businesses, such as those involved with chocolate, do have the burden of unhappy customers. They have to create chocolates of all sorts of fillings and flavorings, hoping to satisfy as many connoisseurs or junk food addicts as possible. In order for this organization to survive, it continuously needs to adapt to an audience that can never be satisfied. The listings that come with the box of chocolates prove the fear of discomforting the wrong consumer. If people can easily be content, variety would be a useless idea to pursue. Come to think of it, regardless of the wealth companies earn, the people are really in control. ‘Life’ submits to the demands of no one, especially not spoiled individuals.

For the sake of redeeming myself amongst ‘Forrest Gump’ fans, there is still a way life can be like a ‘box of chocolates’. The next time you open a box of chocolates, do what Forrest Gump did. He did not bother with the listings, nor was he picky with his decisions. He loved his chocolates and was happy to have them. He simply took whatever was there and regardless of what piece he took, he was happy to consume it. He took what seemed to be given to him and accepted it gracefully, just like the way he lived his life. Whenever we turn bitter or even sour each time ‘life’ gives us lemon, we are delaying even further another opportunity to make lemonade.