Sonya - College Park, Georgia

I can’t live without Jesus. I had a hard life before I came to know Christ. I was promiscuous; looking for love in wrong places. I always worried about my circumstances and was scared of dieing. I didn’t know which direction to turn.

Everything came to a halt when my mom died. She suffered with lung cancer for two years. I felt she was the only one who cared for me. There was a continuous aching hole in the pit of my stomach. I cried day and night, asking God “Why?” There was no one else to turn to.

I reluctantly finished my last quarter in college, when my best friend called “Come spend some time with me in Hawaii”.

I accepted; I was there a few weeks later. While spending time with my friend, I watched her closely. She was always calm, peaceful, and happy. Christian music was always playing in her van or home. It was a pleasant change and finally, I stopped crying. I attended church and bible study with her. I learned a lot about God that week; He loved me and wanted to help me.

Before I left, my friend asked “Since you’ve tried everything else; why not try God”. She continued ‘He can fill that empty hole in your stomach”. The invitation was hard to resist. I decided that day to try God.

When I returned home, I visited my local church the next Sunday and accepted the invitation of Christ to live in my heart. On that day I felt over whelming peace and joy. Somehow I knew everything would be alright and God would not let me down.

I now have a personal relationship with God through his son, Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit speaks to me within, giving me direction in my life so that I can choose to do things according to God’s word, the Holy Bible. I attend church regularly on Sundays where I worship God and learn more about how to live a righteous life. I now know that God has a plan and purpose for my life.

God is using me in many ways to help build His kingdom. First, I pay my tithe to the church which uses it to spread the gospel throughout the world. Second, I am often called upon by family members and friends for encouragement and prayer, as they struggle through life. I also serve them by giving: time, money, and gifts when needed. Most importantly, I have the privilege to raise five children and teach them about God and His heaven.

Since Jesus has come into my life, it has changed for the better. I try daily to be an example of Christ, so that people can see Him in me: like being kind, loving, serving others, and telling the truth. Also, I have morals now; standards to live by in this ever changing world. Yes, God rescued me and I am eternally grateful to Him.