Abdulrahman - chicago, Illinois
Themes: setbacks, work

“I Believe in Setting Goals and Walking Toward Them”

I consider my life as a path. It is a long path between now and the end. If I can fill it with a lot of achievements that means it is a fertilized path. Goals like roses shine on chest. I believe on setting goals and walking toward them. By setting the goals, you really set your direction. Sometimes we face some obstacles that slow us, but it will not stop us from reaching our goals. Even if the time gets expanded, I will reach my goal. If you were addicted to goal achievement, you would not quit sailing.

In the day my father passed away, I was thinking a lot about how I will live my life. My dad left, and all the hopes were in God. I felt a lot of pain and a lot of questions in my mind that I should answer. I was 17 years old. Also, I was in the middle year in high school. I had just started the year. The year before, I was in the same level. It was a tough year. I was talking to myself “I should pass this year, and I should help my family”. In the funeral days, my mind was heavy with ideas. Which path should I take? Should I drop out of school and find a job? I was confused. Later, I decided to set my goals and to walk toward them. I planed my future. First, I should pass this year then I should graduate from high school. I graduated from high school with an excellent grade. It was A.

I learned that sometime your failure makes you successful, and age will not be an obstacle. The way of treating the life’s injures is by setting plan for future successes. Next goal was to be admitted in on of the best Universities in my country. I applied to King Fahad University and I earned a Bacholr Degree in Computer Science. The next question was “so what will be the next?” The next goal was to be hired in the best company in my country. I joined Saudi Arabian Oil Company as application developer in one of the best projects which is “SAP Portal”. After working three years in that company, I felt that I needed to lean more and get a higher degree. I quit my job and I applied to Master Degree in Software Engineering in DePaul University in Chicago.

Now, I am 29 years old and I am in the United State of America to pursue my Master’s Degree. This is one of the milestones in my life. The next one will be getting a decent job and pursuing PhD. Computer Science.

I found some people live their life with no goals. They are so bewildered and they always fall behind others. Set your goals and load your ship. It is a long journey to treasured land.