Ran (Andy) - Indianapolis, Indiana
Themes: work

Be Responsible to Yourself and People Who Love You (Doesn’t Count as the Essay Words)

Hi, my name is Andy, an international student in US. I believe in responsibility. No matter what happens, my first priority in my life is always to be responsible to myself and people who love me.

In fact, that is why I chose America for my destination to study. This morning (August 8, 2006), an important phone call from my dad joggled my memory about my life last year in US.

First Scene: At Pudong Airport in Shanghai, China, on August 8, 2005, I can’t forget those tears from my dad when he hugged me. Yes, that’s how you feel when you say farewell to your parents. I was speechless. The only thing I can feel is a hand-down of an unfinished dream. I have to say, it’s a responsibility, and it’s very heavy.

Second Scene: Among the darkness, I was riding my bike on the road between school and my apartment. It’s 2 o’clock in the morning, I just finished studying at school. Hunger and tiredness made me less cautious about my fear and speed. Suddenly, I realized there was something missing under my right foot. The pedal was falling off. I was falling so hard that I broke my leg badly. I was upset, hopeless, having to push my bike for the rest one mile. That terrible experience made up my mind about learning to drive a car. I still vividly remember how terrified I was when I first drove on a speedway. However, I did it. After a month, a rookie who didn’t even touch a steering wheel before coming to America became a confident driver with his first driver license. I felt that support again from my family.

Third Scene: Everything is so hard when you try to fit into a new environment — strange business terminologies, high competition from my classmates, and of course, language problems. “But it is OK. At least I can learn stuff and meet smart people everyday.” I said to myself. Therefore, I stayed up every night until 2 or 3 a.m., and studying every page on my books. I was so tired sometimes. But it’s the responsibility that always pushes me ahead. “A”, “A+”, “A+”, “A”, “A+”….. Those letters are all you can read from my transcript.

Fourth Scene: I like to visualize things, especially those things in the future. I always picture myself as a winner. For example, I closed my eyes, seeing those tears again on my back, seeing them smiling, seeing every single effort of mine getting paid off, and seeing I am telling my own stories to my children and grandchildren, 20 or 50 years later.

……….

Here I am, 22 years old, young and restless, with his dreams on this land full of opportunities. Looking back to what I have accomplished, it is not great, but I did my best. I know it’s only a start, but I’ll continue to take this responsibility. I will, and always, be ready for the storms ahead of me.