Derick - Ft. Mill, South Carolina
Themes: nature

Fireflies

I believe in fireflies. They appear each evening right on schedule, showing up all at once as if they knew it was time to begin the show. And if I plan my hectic day just right, I can be there to watch their unchoreographed dance from the very first act.

In those first few moments, I am transported back to the time of my youth and can feel the pressures of the daily grind slipping away. Blinking embers that dart between the trees and amid the flowers, they are Nature’s gentle way of rewarding us at the end of another long day.

Yes, I believe in fireflies. When you think about it, these little creatures have not one, but two magical powers – the ability to fly AND to create their own light. Simple, yes… but also simply amazing.

I believe in the therapeutic power of relaxation. A few minutes of silence and solitude each day to recharge my human batteries. For me, this comes in the form of communing with nature, often venturing no further than my own back yard at dusk. While these quiet times of reflection won’t result in world peace, I believe they certainly can help produce a little inner peace. But, come to think of it, maybe the two are connected by the thinnest of threads.

A cacophony of sounds somehow blends perfectly to serve as a backdrop for the fireflies’ visual display. It was as if an ageless conductor rose from the ground and directed the creatures to begin together. You could almost hear her instructions – “Now, toads, bring up the baritone in your croaks. And first chair in the owl section, you are a little off pitch and coming in too late. You have to really hit those high notes when you start the second movement.” The hodgepodge of animals, some of whom will end the night as predator and prey, manage to create a peaceful harmony in their calls. But as terrific as this symphony is, the fireflies seem to know they are still the stars of this show.

When our family recently moved to the outskirts of a small town, I relished the thought of being surrounded by more trees and fewer houses. While I knew the birds, squirrels and other wildlife would find their way to our back yard, my middle-aged mind had forgotten all about the kid-inspired lightning bugs I had once chased in the dark. Boy I am glad they reminded me!