T. Marni - Lincoln, Nebraska

I believe in humor.

I am a comic, a humorist, a Keynote speaker by trade, so it is my purpose, but it is first my companion.

Humor has warmed cultures, territories and languages into one. It has provided me with a suspension bridge from Europe to Costa Rica, from America to Canada. It has smoothed the road between State Trooper and road warrior. It has reminded a heckler why their not holding the mic.

Humor has chaperoned me with a follow spot and I have had the privilege, really, the privilege, of being at the receiving end of many a generous crowd.

I say with humble delight, with profound appreciation,

I say with a comic’s high, an infinite grin, a harlequin’s heart,

there have been nights that I have owned. I have picked up my check and tapped danced to my car. I have headed down the road to the next club, to the next conference, with a smile on my face and the echo of laughter in my heart.

It is my job to make sure I hear laughter everyday.

In the end, it is everyone’s job.

I believe it is a grace granted to us all. It is the sparkly tool that we were accorded when we agreed to take our first breath. It was the joy and laughter that welcomed us here,

and like my father’s funeral, it will be present at our finale gate call. At least, that’s what I tell my father. What I really mean is, I believe in humor’s ability to acknowledge the death of a dear one and bring laughter concerning their life, their fault’s and their struggles.

It is the number one quality we look for in companionship, and the best of what we remembered years after a relationship has ended.

It is the invisible glitter that falls between friends in coffee shops and bars.

It is humor that often gives us the graceful exit we so yearn for, when the moment has become unbearable.

Humor brings us back to the ground of our being.

It lifts the soul and catches us when we fall.

I believe in humor for it frees the human spirit, it allows us to stand out side ourselves with affection and forgiveness.

I believe in the hope of humor, the sustenance and nourishment of the intangible roar of laughter.

I believe in humor’s ability to draw me to those I’ve loved the longest, family, friends and nieghbors….not all of them of course, but most of them.

I believe in the compassion of humor, for it brings our minds to rest. It fills the empty and temporarily relieves the fearful.

I believe in humor’s ability to heal the wounded, quiet the angry and diminish the dark.

I believe in humor’s capacity to tolerate what can’t be changed.

I believe in the humor, that is a witness to the fools we are, fools in this absolutely wonderful mess called life.