David - Yorba Linda, California

Today’s health field is expanding at an exponential rate. As more and more people are getting sick and unhealthier, there is more demand for doctors and health practitioners to suppress the epidemic. However, by having more doctors and health practitioners doesn’t mean a victory against the war on disease. By not having health coverage or the financial means will cause an obstacle for people to seek necessary treatment to get cured.

Living in a country that has the technology to basically combat against any type of disease is something that everyone should cherish, however if a person doesn’t have healthcare coverage, it wouldn’t be surprise if the access to that technology is possible. I believe that everyone in this country should have the right to be treated by any type of doctor whether if that person has any type of insurance of healthcare coverage. A person shouldn’t be prejudice against due to social economic factors.

I myself work in the health profession where I see many people daily that seek treatment. Unfortunately, I believe that people that do not have the economic stability like some people do, can not get the same type of treatment services. I feel ashamed that I work in a field that is supposedly to be helping people but can’t sometimes because they don’t have the money to pay for their treatment. There was this one particular time where a person came into my office seeking emergency treatment. Apparently, she said that she woke up that morning having a agony headache and seemed like her vision was blur. However, she didn’t have any means to pay for her examination so the office recommended her to try the hospital. I found that very unfair and unprofessional. It was hard for me to swallow the fact that money/insurance were the object that prevented her from getting any treatment from my office. You know how hard that was to see that?

I always hear that the reason why people want to be part of the health profession is because they want to make a lot of money. Whether if they said it jokingly or naively, I believe that people who have that sort of perception about the health profession shouldn’t be in the profession because it prevents them from treating everyone equally. The profession might pay well but I don’t think that should be the reason why people become doctors for. It should be solely for helping others. They shouldn’t let health coverage or money issues be an ordeal.

I’m in hopes that in the near future, I get to attend to optometry school. My hopes are that once I become a doctor, I will lend a helping hand to society overlooking any type of social barrier that will prevent me of treating people. I believe that every person has rights as a human being to be treated equally and I hope that I will provide that to everyone.