Isabelle - sandy, Utah
Themes: integrity

“This I Believe Essay”

“Would you rather not know?” This was the truth spoken by a true friend. I believe that your true friends will always tell you the truth, and not what you want to hear.

Telling the truth is one of the hardest things for society to do, but in my opinion is one of the most important things we can do. As you go through life society’s bad influence tells us that lying is a way of life and that you should care what actor is cheating on which rock star. We live in a world of deception everyone despises the sweet talking sales man telling you that you great in that car, even if it out of your price range.

When someone asks you a question and you know that the truth is harmful to them. You want to tell them a white lie, so that you don’t end up hurting their feelings. Even if you know it is the right thing to do and that they need to hear it. I don’t think that people learn from their mistakes by deception. The truth may hurt, but it is a necessity of life to continue to grow as a person and as a society.

The famous quote “The truth will set you free” couldn’t be truer. The good feeling you get from telling the truth is far better than the rotting feeling that you get in the pit of your stomach when you deceive someone.

That feeling that you get when you tell someone the truth might not feel rewarding at first, but the person hearing the truth wants the honesty and the friendship that you show. If they don’t show their appreciation at first they will always end up showing their gratitude towards you later.

Young children are the best example of honesty. They will tell you everything and anything, even if you don’t want to know about it. My really good friend has two children, and 3 year old son, and an 18 month old daughter. One day the two kids were playing quietly in the front room when the 18 month old started crying. When my friend asked her son what had happened he smiled and said with enthusiasm “I hit her!”

If only adults could have a show based on the honest things they say, instead adults have to make an effort to be as honest as the children they teach honesty too. So when someone asks you for your opinion, tell them honestly, and ask yourself. “Wouldn’t you want to be told?”