Robin - sandy, Utah

I believe in the power of positive thinking. The thoughts that I have created within me have extended outward impacting my life tremendously, leading me down interesting life paths.

The words- “Be Positive” or “Think Positive thoughts were familiar to me yet they never meant anything until the day of an important job interview.

I applied to become a student aid at a Junior High School for children in the resource department. I desperately wanted this job. I arrived to the appointment early and waited in my car. A monster wave of anxiety was swallowing me. My mind was spinning delusional scenarios of everything that could possibly go wrong. The time for me to exit my car and go into my interview was creeping closer. My anxiety brought me to the verge of tears and I needed to pull myself together. This was when my “5 compliment theory” was born.

I swept my head of negative thoughts and came up with 5 positive things about myself. I began to envision that the interviewers were saying those compliments about me at that very moment. As I changed my train of thought, my fears dissolved and my confidence built.

I walked into that interview feeling like I was on top of the world. Everything went smoothly and I was offered the job the next day.

On my way home I thought about the interview. I was amazed at the results that positive thinking had. The anxiety that I experienced in my car was disabling me from functioning as the competent applicant that I was. It only took a few minutes to remind myself of my great qualities for the anxiety to exit my mind.

This is a simple idea. But to me, it is much more than just a pep talk. I gave this concept a lot of thought because depression and anxiety were becoming a constant in my life. I wondered why it worked and what other things I could do to ease my stresses.

The next time I went to a social situation where I felt shy or nervous, I remembered the five minutes before my interview. I imagined the people that I was going to encounter, thinking the best of me. When I practiced this exercise in my mind, my social anxiety began to fizzle away.

Since the first day I practiced this test I have used it many more successful times. But the most important outcome from my 5 compliment theory is that I don’t need to imagine that other people are saying fantastic things about me for me to feel fantastic. All I need to do now is acknowledge that I am a great person and have confidence that others will see it also, and if they don’t…oh well.

My little test has evolved into a simple reminder that, when I think positive thoughts, I have the ability to create my own positive, peaceful, fulfilling reality.