Trevor - Sandy, Utah
Themes: family, pleasure

The power of cookies

I believe in the power of cookies. I believe that within these small saucers of

butter, sugar, and usually chocolate is an unbelievable force. Forces that can brighten sad, dark, days, dry wet eyes, strengthen friendships, and even tell fortunes. They bring joy to young and old alike. Indiscriminate of race, religion, or class they serve as a tool for parents, teachers, loving grandmothers, and sometimes your boss who uses them as incentive for that “last” meeting you have today.

I have loved cookies my whole life, when I was a child, my mother owned a bakery. It was during this time that my love for cookies began. My fondest memory is of me as a child sitting in a car seat having just left her bakery. I sat in the car with an enormous Ginger Bread Man cookie. My mittens like tiny clasps on his massive body. Then I didn’t realize that it wasn’t the cookie that was massive, it was just I very being small. I remember it took almost an hour, but I defeated him, saving his head for last.

I look back now and see how much I loved those cookies. Every Christmas since then I have eaten one just to bring me back, and every time it does, And I hope it will forever. Growing up with a mother who was exceptional at making cookies made me a very happy, fat, child. Ten years ago on any given day you were almost guaranteed to find freshly baked oatmeal raisin cookies somewhere in my house. Of course then it never occurred to me that one day I would miss freshly baked cookies, that I would miss the love that was used in preparing them. Now, if I ask my mother for cookies she just buys them. No longer being a child I have out-grown my right for fresh cookies. With my youth gone, I gaze at the now vacant, dusty jar, which once stood as a powerful symbol of my childhood not as a reason to be sad, but as a damn good reason to make more. Because I believe in the power of cookies, I believe in them as a reminder to us all about how much something so small can mean so much to every one of us.