THIS I BELIEVE
1. That I am an extraordinarily gifted human being, for surely all life is extraordinary.
2. That I am a loyal citizen of the United States of America, and that I hold a belief system that could be described as “eclectic Christianity”, and for this, radical Islamists condemn me to death.
3. I am also an organic speck on an orb on an arm of a galaxy, member of a local cluster.
4. Men orbit this Earth, continually observing.
5. Men search the ultimate reaches of the Cosmos with powerful sensors, and find new mysteries.
6. Men on Earth kill each other over differences in understanding.
7. I adhere to the fundamental tenets of every perspective that I have studied.
8. I speculate about offering myself as sacrifice to an Islamic Holy Man, to be beheaded by him.
9. I believe that I could do this, if it would help.
10. I believe that, generally, a wider perspective is much needed.
If you enjoyed this essay, please consider making a tax-deductible contribution to This I Believe, Inc.