Anthony - Sierra Vista, Arizona

In making judgments about the conflicts that arise all over the world, I am reminded of the verbal rearing my grandmother applied on me when I was a teenager. Taking in the bias media environment, I would make select judgments on the quality of life in other countries, cities or continents not native to me. The snap judgments which resulted from my precocious disposition often placed inferiority on those outside my realm of thought making true the old saying “we fear what we do not know.” My grandmother, an educator, would then explain to me the frustration of the working class, exploited, and underrepresented while simultaneously dissecting my bigotry and feelings of superiority by reciting the words of Frederick Douglass, “I was A SLAVE–born a slave and though the fact was incomprehensible to me, it conveyed to my mind a sense of my entire dependence on the will of somebody I had never seen; and, from some cause or other, I had been made to fear this somebody above all else on earth.” Subsequently, my thought process has changed over the years to reflect the notion of human nature as opposed to racial makeup, cultural heritage or geographical location.

I believe in the notion that every human being who is forced to inhabit this beautiful earth deserves an equal and fair opportunity to reap the benefits of a better way of life. In the twenty first century, such primitive crisis as starvation, war, genocide and famine should not exist. However, I see a good portion of earth’s inhabitants overwhelmed by these dubious problems. The knowledge and wealth acquired by a minority, at the expense of the majority, has caused a great friction between human nature, and the nature of greed, corruption and selfishness. There exists a great many members of humankind who have no representation in the media or through the political process. If it is the political process which is to represent mankind, it should represent the under privileged first and foremost.

During the twentieth century, the United States and much of Europe took unbelievable strides in the effort of eliminating a good portion of the human race all in the effort to protect portions of land which were either seized or inhabited at the expense of displaced peoples. I believe in the notion that if we do not stop ourselves from this onslaught of corruption and self-interest, we are doomed as a race to become extinct, not for religious reason, but simply out of mankind’s necessity to inflict suffering upon one another. If these institutions of media, government, military and democracy are to exist, we must ensure they serve those who need assistance. The control of such industries should not belong to a select few whom have agenda and false intentions. I believe in the coexisting of men and the elimination of suffering. I believe a child drying in Iraq is of the same importance as a child drying in the United States, and it is the height of arrogance to think otherwise.