Alan - Anthony, New Mexico

This I believe… mankind has within his grasp the ability to overcome any ill that threatens the existence of mankind and nature. I believe men have within their grasp the ability to overcome the passions that otherwise drive men to inflict pain and suffering or worse upon any other human being. I believe the desire for peace is within every one of us and only needs to be stirred and awakened. I believe the unlimited potential of human beings (individually and collectively) is bigger than we allow ourselves to dream.

Nature reaffirmed my belief of limitless human potential the other day as I watched in amazement as a dove alighted on a high voltage power line. There was 27,000 volts of electricity on that residential power line. I then thought of large transmission lines carrying electricity from large generating stations to cities hundreds of miles away. Some of those transmission lines are as high as 750,000 volts. Yet in either case 27,000 volts or 750,000 volts the result is always the same for the bird alighting on the wires, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. And as I pondered the thought further I could not help but think about those birds who sit upon those wires. They are completely oblivious to the potential energy flowing within their very claws. I then ask myself rhetorically, “How could those creatures of nature not know that in the literal sense they had within their grasp a conductor that could light a million homes or an entire city?” The natural process of thought then led me to humanity, and it immediately became apparent that those birds on those high voltage wires are analogous to human beings on the glorious potential of earth. We have no idea of the immense potential we have within our grasp. The stores of power cannot even be fully imagined by us, just as a bird does not understand or comprehend the energy where it sometimes resides. However, the first step in comprehending this concept is accepting the fact that within our grasp is unlimited potential only waiting for us to discover. I believe somewhere in a dimension parallel to ours are beings looking upon us thinking similar thoughts as ours whenever we look upon a pair of doves perching upon those high voltage power lines, “If they only knew the power they hold, the great things they could do…”