Roderic - St. Louis, Missouri
Age Group: 65+

Wake up, sleeper,

Rise from the dead,

And Christ will touch you.

So be very careful about the sort of lives you lead, like intelligent and not like senseless people. Redeem the present time, for these are evil days.

The author of the Epistle to the Ephesians—maybe Paul, maybe not—calls us to be alert because we are at risk.

We are at risk from so many different directions it is difficult to know how to respond. Some are saying we’re in the midst of World War IV—World War III has been the “Cold War” which lasted for almost 50 years.

I believe we are in the midst of a religious war. It is not just Jews against Muslims or Christians against Muslims. It is Christian against Christian, Jew against Jew, and Muslim against Muslim. Three of major religious communities in the world are divided from within. There are those who “know” the mind of God against those who are seeking to know the mind of God.

Simone Weil, a mid-twentieth century French Jew once wrote,

Those who seek God will find a god of their own making.

Those who seek the truth may yet find God.

I believe the people we most have to fear are those who have sought God and now know the mind of God, because the god they have found is a God of their own making.

“Do not go on living the empty-headed life” of those who proclaim a god of their own making—a god who punishes people for making mistakes at the ballot box by sending death and destruction by means of violent weather systems; of those who pray that their children will grow up to be martyrs to proclaim a god of their own making; of those who believe that god has “promised them a piece of land” and they have the deed in their own scriptures.

“Intellectually they are in the dark and they are estranged from the life of God, because of the ignorance which is the consequence of closed minds.”

But, “Do not be afraid.” God loves us! God forgives us! God patiently waits for us, to rush out and embrace us when we decide to accept responsibility for our own actions, when we stop pointing the fingers of accusation at others, when we decide to return to God in humility and repentance.

Wake up, sleeper,

Rise from the dead,

And Christ will touch you.