Kat - Clifton, Colorado

Setting Personal Boundaries

This I believe: setting personal boundaries can give one a sense of liberation from self-imposed responsibility. Society as a whole needs to declare its limits. There is a difference between open communication and a constant volcanic eruption of verbal ash via the media du jour.

When we set boundaries, we’ve said to the world, “We consider ourselves to be important; we mean to care for ourselves first and foremost, for if we don’t, how then can we care for others?” This can also give others the confidence of self-reliance; a shouldering of responsibility that may have weighed heavily on our hearts and minds.

By setting boundaries, people may return to some semblance of civility, no longer feeding on the familiarity which can breed contempt for one another. The same familiarity which has contributed to our being such a cynical nation. Setting boundaries allows us each some breathing room, private space, time to notice a rainbow or smell the brush of air on a rainswept pine.

When we don’t feel so ratcheted up by the constant barrage of the day’s news, work problems, and home life, declaring ourselves off-limits at times, we find reduced stress and possibly more pleasant living and working conditions; which, like the ripple effect, can spread across the nation and world to balance out the “no-boundary effect”.