Mary Ellen - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Themes: family, love

The Way I See It

Having been born the youngest to a single mother and teacher of many lessons, we were navigated toward recognizing the difference between right and wrong. To enjoy life not at the expense of others was cultivated by my Mother through her humble heart and compassion.

Often struggling on a secretary’s modest income, my Mother did the best she could for my five siblings, including my twin brother who transitioned on in 1994 and whom I believe exists in a perfect, peaceful, powerful, place of privilege. The death of Mark placed a lodestar in my life, distinguishing the memories that happened before Mark’s passing and my life following his death. It’s not just a twin thing but something that many people who have grieved the loss of a loved one can understand.

I have taken great comfort in the realization that on the other side of despair and grief, Grace waits and promises to heal the aches and pains of life. Divine appointment and intervention takes place more often than I could ever pray for or imagine.

My faith in God has kept me alive, without the slightest doubt, and continues to help me keep it together. Taking my cue from dogs, children and elders, helps me keep it simple and real.

I believe I am a composite of Albuquerque, that my family and friends are my treasures. The diversity of people found in New Mexico including Hispanics and Native Americans make up a culturally and historically rich place.

As a recreation supervisor for many years with children of all ages, I have had the opportunity to discuss matters of the heart, to offer the assurance that intellect, power and money are not accurate gauges of ones true value. I do not need a penny in my pocket to have class and dignity. The biggest smiles and side splitting laughs often occur during the simplest times and my attitude and perspective defines any situation.

My experience in radio broadcasting since the early 80’s has been a fantastic platform to share the music I love like; Latin Jazz, Bossa Nova and Rhythm and Blues. I’ve learned that the sound of a mariachi blowing a trumpet, strumming the guitar or wailing through a song is one of the richest most soulful sounds I will ever hear.

I believe the great thinkers since millennia teach Giving Love and getting it back is the ultimate human experience and has proven to be true throughout my life time. The anger and desperate nature of things I hear, read about and watch on the news screams of a world starving for compassion, love and respect and makes me think that the exquisite qualities found in people are too often taken for granted or forgotten.

I believe light, love and respect reigns supreme and are infinitely brighter, deeper, and stronger than darkness, hate and recklessness toward one another.