Diane - Yorba Linda, California

THIS I BELIEVE

The Bible says that Man was created in God’s image. Since God is determined to be invisible, I don’t believe that what the Bible meant was that we are created in God’s PHYSICAL image.

Rather, I believe that, unlike all the other elements of God’s creation on Earth, only Man was created with…the ability to create.

This is the thing we share with God. We are able to create, and in infinite numbers of ways. We are able to create with art, with music, with dance; we are able to create with invention. We are able to create by devising a new method to perform a task. We are able to create by healing the sick. We are able to create seemingly impossible things – like airplanes, spaceships, electron microscopes. We can create with our hands. We can create with our mind. We can create with our hearts.

Moreover, I believe that it is in the basic and fundamental nature of Man to create. When Man is put in a situation where he is unable to practice his creative skills, then he ceases to grow, there ceases to be purpose to his life. It is the saddest destiny of any human being to have to live his life without the opportunity to create. Better to die before such a fate befalls him.

When God breathed a soul into his human creation, he breathed this gift into him. It is the most egregious sin against God and nature to rob a human of that gift.

Prisons should take that into account. Employers should take that into account. Parents should take that into account. Teachers should take that into account.

When Man is allowed to express himself through his creations, he is complete and can find contentment.