David - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: hope

MY FUTURE IS BRIGHT BECAUSE. . .

My future is bright because I believe.

“We are what we believe we are.”- C.S.Lewis. “You are what you are by what you believe.”- Oprah Winfrey. “When people don’t believe in you, you have to believe in yourself.” –Pierce Brosnan. Believing can mean many different things to many different people. Whether you believe in everything and everyone, or whether you believe in nothing at all, I believe that believing is the key to a bright future.

Initially, my future is bright because I believe in people. I believe that people will always be there for me, even when there seems to be no light at the end of my tunnel. I believe that people will be my flashlight, and light up the way when I get lost. I thank God every day that he sent people like my mom, and my dad, and my sister, and my friends, and the incredible teachers that have taught me everything I know. Because without these people, my future would not be as bright as it is today. I believe that each and every person in this room, and on this Earth, will one day impact someone’s future other than their own. Maybe not my future, and maybe not yours, but maybe the future of the homeless man on the street who is given a job opportunity, or the future of the infant orphan in Africa who is given a family. Although I may not be homeless or an orphan in Africa, people will make my future bright, as well. They will do this by counseling, teaching, and guiding me and by supporting me and my decisions. Because I believe in people, my future is bright.

Secondly, my future is bright because I believe in myself. Yada, yada, yada. You’ve heard that line before, right? Ever since the day you were born it’s been “Believe in yourself and you will succeed.” But as my future has become my present, I’ve come to realize that this statement really is true. I mean, think about it. If you can’t even convince yourself that your future is bright, how are you going to make it that way? Henry Ford once said “Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right.” What this quote means to me is that no matter what other people may say about you, it’s up to you to decide whether or not you can do it. You are the ultimate decision maker, and the most important one, at that. Deciding that you can do whatever you want to do, is, essentially, believing in yourself. And by not listening to whatever negative thoughts enter your mind, you’re making your future brighter. Because the more optimistic your thoughts are, the more optimistic your future will be. If you believe in yourself, it will happen, and because I believe in myself, my future is bright.

Finally, my future is bright because I believe in God. I believe that no matter what I do wrong, God will forgive me if I’m truly sorry for it. And I believe that even if I do something crazy and unexpected, God will always love me. If I have God with me in my future, and if I believe that God’s steadfast love endures forever, then my future is definitely bright. And God isn’t just there to forgive people for their sins. God is at work in the world every minute of every day. At work through things called miracles. Someone being diagnosed with cancer, and then being able to live for another 6 years. A premature baby that lives to see her future blossom. Someone in a potentially fatal car crash who lives to tell their story. All of these are examples of miracles that God was responsible for. And, so, I’m thinking to myself, if all of these miracles are happening today, can you even imagine the miracles that will happen in my future? A cure being found for AIDS and cancer, all people beginning to see one another as friends, and not as enemies. Maybe we could even go as far as to hope for the world to stop fighting. (pause) Maybe. But if I believe in God, I know that miracles can and will happen, and that my future will be bright.

Abraham Lincoln once said, “The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time.” I believe that if I take my life one day at a time, and if I continue to believe in people, and in myself, and in God, then my future will be bright.

Futures. Mysterious things, aren’t they? Scary, unpredictable, and intimidating. With futures, you never know. Will you even have a future? Are you even going to wake up tomorrow? Are you going to go to college? Are you going to get a scholarship? Are you ever going to find the perfect man (or woman)? Will you live in a mansion or a shack? Will you ever get to go to space, or live in the Bahamas? Will you ever be a millionaire? Will you ever see the day when everyone is driving hybrid cars? Or will you even make it to your next class before the bell rings? All of these are questions of the future. Questions that can only be answered if you follow the path of life, and find out. I, personally, ask myself these questions every day. I get scared, because my future may not end up as bright as I want it to be. But then, I remember. My future is bright. . . Because I believe.