Colton - Lakeside, California

I believe that youth is intangible and non-corporeal. The concept of youth lies strictly with the youthful. Ever since the days of fairy dust, flying children, lost boys and pirates people have sought to look for ways to maintain youth. However, youth is not to be captured in a jar and preserved for eternity.

Being a teenager in a predominately urban society has taught me that not only do adolescents always want to become of age as fast as possible, but adults seem to strive to grasp at what’s left of their formative years while they can. However, age has never defined a person’s character or morality; it is merely just a number that is used to keep track of how long you have been alive. But most teenagers and adults always seem to give the world “age” and “youth” more power than they deserve.

Being “young” to a teenager means that you are restricted from the social benefits that older peers reap, such as driving a car, getting in to “R” rated movie, voting and consuming alcohol. Adults, on the other hand, believe that being “young” consists of having endless energy, opportunities waiting to be ravished and a life waiting to be lived. If everyone ceases from granting so much power to words such as “youth” and “age” then we all will have more fulfilling lives.

We all want to grow up faster than we do. We all seem to spring from which the roots we have grown from. We catapult ourselves into society hoping to find acceptance among our peers. Yet, we never stop to look at how lovely being young is. Parents and other adults spend their infinite eternities reminiscing of some distant requiem of childhood. They go to great lengths in order to look, see, speak and feel young. It is sad to say that so many adults spend the rest of their life’s searching for the eternal bliss of the fountain of youth. However, if we all cherish being youthful while we are young then we wont regret being old. Because with age comes wisdom, opportunity and respect.

We all should look to the second star to the right from time to time. We should all search for lost boys, fly high in the sky and battle with pirates. We should all watch Disney movies, laugh over sophomoric jokes and take life less seriously. However, when it is time to grow up we all shall tread down that lonesome tortuous road. But, in the end it will be worth it because we won’t regret not being young because we will have done all that we could.

Our age does not define who we are; it just measures how much our souls have learned. Katharine Hepburn once said “I have no romantic feelings about age. Either you are interesting at any age or you are not. There is nothing particularly interesting about being old or being young.”