Dominique - Abilene, Texas

Recent college graduate of the 2006 class, I’m in search of a meaningful career. I graduated from Abilene Christian University a few months ago and now hold a degree in electronic media.

I believe the search for a career is a long hard journey. It’s a journey of self-discovery and up to this point disappointment iced with rejection. Not the rejection of no, but the rejection of the absence of it. You see when I apply for a job; not hearing from a company is just as disappointing as them telling me, “No you’re not qualified for the position, no we have no positions available at this time, no Mr. so-in-so isn’t in the office, would you like his voicemail, no, no, no.”

I believe in order to have a successful career you must first have experience, but if no one is willing to hire you there is no way you will ever gain the adequate amount of experience to make you attractive to a future employer.

I believe I’m experience and capable of all the responsibilities attached to having a full-time job. I was named top graduate of electronic media, I graduated with honors, won several national competitions, and also attended film school. I have a killer resume any college student would envy. So the question is why don’t I have a job yet? Maybe I’m too capable, maybe the timing isn’t right, maybe it’s because I’m a young woman, and do I dare ask, is it because I’m Hispanic?

Despite my hunt thus far, I still believe in people, in education, and my ability of determination. I will find a career. I will, I will, I will. This I am certain of…this I believe.