Flavia - Arlington, Virginia
Themes: purpose

July 20,2006

I believe that everything happens for a reason. My experiences in life, the people I run into, the things I do, are all part of my cycle of life.

I remember a time in my life when nothing was going right. I mean, my grades were as low as they were going to get and everything made me mad. I would go to school just enraged at everyone that I ran into. My teachers thought that I was crazy. They even gave me the nickname “walking disaster.” I couldn’t go through a whole day without shoving someone into a locker or almost getting suspended.

I believe that some people that I run into in life have some significance in the way I think and/or see the world. I recall during a family trip to Memphis, Tennessee, I ran into an old white couple. They were just the sweetest thing. Yet there was something very disturbing about the way their eyes lingered towards me. It was as if a UFO had landed and an alien had stepped out. All of a sudden, they came over to me and asked me what ship did I step out of? That just showed me that people may seem one way but are the complete opposite.

I believe that everything that I do, good or bad, will eventually come back to me whether I notice it or not. For most of my life, I have shared almost everything with someone. Whether it be sharing my room with my sister, letting my little brother get the last slice of pizza, or even loaning a large amount of money. But for some reason I stopped doing that in high school. Soon after, I started to lose things. For example, one Friday night, we had ordered pizza. Instead of letting my little brother have the last slice as usual, I decided to be selfish and take it. Well, my selfishness came running back to me faster then a boomerang. Before the pizza even reached my mouth, it fell on the ground. I didn’t realize it then, but Karma can rear its head at even the simplest things like food. But I now see the bigger picture.

I know that everything happens for a reason whether we want it to or not. The important thing is to learn from our mistakes and try not to take life too seriously. This I believe.