Mayrene - Nebraska City, Nevada
Themes: birth

I believe that the sanctity of life is the cornerstone of civilization.

It was only when survival of the fittest was tempered by a sense of family or love or friendship that ancient tribes grew and flourished. They helped the old, the weak, the sick, and the crippled versus letting them be left behind, to starve, or to be torn limb from limb by wolves. They valued the lesser amongst themselves, and their societies were rewarded. The old have lessons to teach the young. The physically weak sometimes have the brightest minds. The sick can heal and develop immunity against disease, which protects others.

The value of life has been cheapened by law in the United States since Roe v. Wade.

Yes, I believe that abortion is murder, with the only possible exceptions being rape, incest, or saving the life of the mother. Adult females can go on to have more babies, but a motherless baby has a reduced chance of survival and of thriving and becoming a happy, healthy, contributing member of society. And what would that embryo become if you left it alone – a cat, a flower, a robot, a loaf of bread? No, it can only become a human baby. It is a human baby.

I believe in choice. I believe that you exercise your choice pre-conception. Once the egg has been fertilized, you have made a life long commitment.

God said to Adam and Eve, “go forth and multiply.” Lets take the scientific view. What if we need the sheer numbers to survive long term as a species? To survive super-volcanoes, tsumanis and earthquakes, dinosaur killing meteorites, nuclear winter, the glacial cycle, and pandemics? It was only because ancient peoples were of sufficient number and spread over enough geography that enough survived to continue the species.

Which brings us to embryonic stem cells.

Appallingly, not only have human embryos been so devalued that they are thrown away without much of a second thought simply because they are inconvenient, but now they are to become a worldwide commodity. Bought and sold. Produced especially to be used in laboratory experiments; if not now, then too soon. You don’t think it is for the money? You think it is for the common good? Look at how much money is waiting to be made pending this legislation!

Just because a thing can be done doesn’t mean it should be done. We can create nuclear bombs, but we shouldn’t use them.

All people can see is the upside, the benefits to the physically weak or ill. I am an insulin dependent diabetic. I could have had a fetal pancreas kidney transplant years ago, but I did not. And I will refuse any embryonic stem cell therapy. I couldn’t live with myself knowing that I was alive BECAUSE so many babies had to die to save me. Even one baby. Even one potential baby.

The downside is the continued moral decay of humankind and our destruction. Most of the world is already so politically correct that religion is considered a quaint and dying past time of no possible practical use. Unless you are a fundamental extremist.

I could give you more Biblical quotes, but perhaps popular fiction is more understandable. How about “Brave New World” or “The Outer Limits”? Science fiction has long told tales of the probable outcomes and pitfalls of the misuse of science. How about that Demi Moore movie where she gives birth to a baby that has no soul because the Guv is empty, i.e. there are a finite number of souls? I wonder how Hindus who believe in reincarnation think of aborted fetuses. How does that “experience” enrich the Akashic Record? Are we all not lessened when our parents essentially leave us defenseless and alone in the forest to be eaten by tigers? I know from personal experience that it gives you trust and abandonment issues, and abandonment is very hard to heal.

We are descending rapidly into an uncaring soulless society. And without caring for one another there is no civilization. And without civilization the human species cannot survive. This I believe.