James - Mableton, Georgia

iDream and iBelieve

As I was rummaging through my junk drawer, I found a tiny remote control that came with my computer. It’s more oblong than rectangular, with a circular control akin to an-other cultural icon, the iPod. Like Apple’s new ads, I have to think right out of the box. The MacBook isn’t just a computer. It’s functional art. I can display pictures of my latest vacation on iPhoto to create the relaxing feel of being on the waterfront. Or, with a press of the remote, start the romantic music on iTunes to create that special moment.

I believe my new MacBook is my portal into the Expressionist world. I have the ability to share a variety of emotions with the click of my iPad. I took a picture of myself with the built in camera and used a photo editing program to morph the likeness. When finished, I resembled a character in the painting “The Scream” by Edvard Munch.

For twenty years, I have dreamed about owning an Apple and unleashing my internal creativity. Inside, the Mac is not much different than any other computer. It’s what I can do with it that makes the real difference. In a society that requires me to conform for the good of the many, my Mac allows me to be different. Vicki allows me to celebrate my individualism.

Vicki, you ask? Vicki is the name of the character in the Mac’s Voice Recognition soft-ware. . Remember the Star Trek movie where the crew of the Enterprise traveled back in time to save two whales, saving us from our short sightedness? Scottie sitting at an Apple, picks up the mouse and speaks to the computer. In the movie, the computer didn’t respond. The other day, for the first time, I spoke to a computer and it answered back.

“Computer,” I commanded in a slight Gaelic accent. “Time?”

“Nine forty two P. M.” Vicki said with a slightly mechanized, feminine voice.

“Think Different” is more than a marketing campaign created in the last decade. It’s a motto I live by each day. It’s the Apple allure that draws me to this modern day “Carpe Diem.” In a world of mass produced products where everything is the same, I fight to be different. It’s not surprising that I am drawn to the new culture emerging in revolt to this similarity. iMovie and GarageBand enables me to contribute to this iMovement and cre-ate my own full length features or record songs created in my basement.. I celebrate the birth of a new era. Long live Indie!

Now that I have this new lease on life in a white box, I have a license to dream, to cre-ate and to express. I am no longer restricted to the beige world that was my fathers. I now live in a world of the “tabula rasa” and am free to paint in a rainbow of colors like a dear logo of a cultural iCon.